[robocup-msrs] Practice days

Kyle Johns kylej at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 26 16:56:05 EDT 2007

We realize that not all teams will be ready to field a polished soccer team on the first day of Robocup and that is why we have built in three full days of practice sessions and support.  As I indicated in my mail yesterday, I will be there on Sunday evening to set up the systems and all day Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to answer questions and help polish code.  As an added bonus, we'll be joined by George Chrysanthakopoulos, the architect for Microsoft Robotics Studio, from Wednesday to Sunday for the particularly hard questions J.   I have no doubt that we'll have several capable soccer teams ready for the preliminary competitions on Thursday and Friday.

>From now until this Sunday, focus on giving your simulated Robudogs the ability to analyze the images of the field and to move toward the ball and kick when the opportunity presents itself.  Even our very primitive little lego sample services score sometimes!

Try not to get too hung up in the pitfalls of configuration.  Run the fourrobudogplayers manifest and manually delete the entities that you don't want on the field.  I will be happy to help you make manifests that will run across our three-machine configuration once you get to Robocup.  It will take only minutes.

Above all, let's have some fun with this.  If I'm going to spend 10 days swimming in humidity in Atlanta in the middle of the summer, this had better be fun!  This is the first time that Microsoft has sponsored a competition at Robocup and we  are looking forward to learning a lot and having  a great time.

-Kyle