[robocup-legged] CFP For Special Issue on Interactive Humanoid Robots

Takayuki Kanda kanda at atr.jp
Thu Dec 7 20:57:32 EST 2006

CFP For Special Issue on Interactive Humanoid Robots
====
Guest Editors: Norihiro Hagita and Hiroshi Ishiguro

Over the past several years, many humanoid robots have been developed, and
they can typically make sophisticated human-like expressions with their head
and arms. We believe that humanoid robots will be suitable for interaction
with people. The human-like bodies of humanoid robots enable humans to
intuitively understand their gestures and cause people to unconsciously
behave as if they were communicating with humans. Thus, as well as providing
physical support, these robots will supply communication support such as
route-guidance. In the future, we believe that these robots will behave as
peer-partners to support daily human activities based on advanced
interaction capabilities.

For realizing the interactive robots, we need to establish an
interdisciplinary study between robotics, psychology, cognitive science, and
so forth. Cognitive science, especially on ideas of body properties for
communication, helps to design more effective robot-behaviors for
interacting with humans. On the other hand, the developed robot can be used
for verifying theories of cognitive science. We consider this unique
interdisciplinary relationship enable us to develop the new type of robot.

This special issue will focus on the interdisciplinary approach as well as
the robotics research toward interactive humanoid robots. Papers on all
aspects of interactive humanoid robots are welcome, including - but not
limited to - the following topics:

- Vision, audition, and tactile sensing and multimodal communication
- Networked robotics and Ubiquitous robotics
- Autonomy design
- Development methodlogoy
- User modelling
- User studies in Laboratory experiments and Field trials
- Social studies and Cross-cultural studies
- Telepresence with humanoid robots
- Android science
- Human-Robot Cooperation and Collaboration
- Controller and mechanisms
- Cognitive robotics

Papers submitted must have not been published and are not being considered
for publication in any journal.
Substantial revisions of conference papers are eligible and authors should
inform the Guest Editors at the time of submission. All the submissions will
undergo the regular review process by 3 referees.
Interested authors should follow the Guidelines for Contributors and typeset
contributions using the style/template document (Readme / Download).
Please submit papers at http://www.worldscinet.com/ijhr/ijhr.shtml with a
note "For Interactive Humanoid Robots Special Issue."

Guest Editors:
Norihiro Hagita, ATR, Japan (hagita at atr.jp) Hiroshi Ishiguro, Osaka
University, Japan (ishiguro at ams.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp)

Paper submission deadline:    May 1, 2007
Final notice of acceptance:   August 1, 2007
Final version manuscripts due:   Novemver 1, 2007
Special issue to appear:   March 1, 2008
====

Dr. Takayuki Kanda
Senior research scientist
ATR Intelligent Robotics & Communication Labs.
URL http://www.irc.atr.jp/~kanda/
E-mail: kanda at atr.jp
Tel: +81 774 95 1424  Fax: +81 774 95 1408