[robocup-legged] questionable proposed rule changes

Walter Nistico walter.nistico at uni-dortmund.de
Wed Sep 27 15:20:22 EDT 2006

> My feeling is that (almost) everyone prefers a major change of rules
> which should enforce a higher level of intelligence in the multi-robot
> system required for successful soccer games
> subject to the limited resources of the robots.

Actually, in a preliminary poll among the teamleaders which was held in
Bremen, these were the results:

 *  2 beacons: 3 votes
 *  no beacons: 12 votes
 *  no change: 10 votes
 *  non-unique beacons: 7 votes

Anyway, as i said there are strong arguments both in favor and against the
complete removal of beacons, and as such we are taking this decision
through a democratic vote.
So i'll renew my invitation to all the teams qualified in 2005 or 2006 to
vote; also it appears that the GermanTeam might need an internal poll to
take a common position on this stance.

>> change, with two beacons or four non-unique ones, I am not so sure. So
>> if we
>> do not go for the "no beacons" option, we may want to add a second
>> semi-major change such as, "if a robot scores a goal after receiving a
>> real
>> pass (define "real"), that counts three goals".
>
> The latter is a better example of a possible major rule change that sounds
> more suited to improve the level of intelligence in robot team play
> (considering the difficulty of successful passing, it should
>  probably count more than 3 goals).
Personally, i do not think that we should change so drastically the basic
rules of soccer just to incentivate pass-play.
Also the key point here is to define what Thomas called "real pass", or,
let's say, "intentional pass".
Greetings,
Walter

--