[robocup-legged] questionable proposed rule changes

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Wed Sep 27 03:48:24 EDT 2006

Hi,

> With such a low quality of ball passing, now I am wondering why the
> rules should be further complicated. In my opinion, too much has left
> to be improved in the exising setting.

The only way to enforce improvement is to put it in the rules. On the small
field with robots moving up to 50 cm/s passing does not give an advantage
(maybe if it works perfectly), so if we want to see passes, we may have to
add a rule such as "a goal can only be scored by a robot that just received
a pass". However, since nobody seems to be able to pass, this would ruin the
games completely, much more than removing the beacons. There were three
challenges about localization without the beacons (even harder: without the
goals as well), and I have the feeling that if teams have to localize
without them, they will be able to do so. However, I am not convinced that
passing will be ready in one year.

Anyway, the poll contains the option "no change" (in beacon setup), but
nearly nobody seems to prefer it. I guess the "no beacon" option is a major
change, with two beacons or four non-unique ones, I am not so sure. So if we
do not go for the "no beacons" option, we may want to add a second
semi-major change such as, "if a robot scores a goal after receiving a real
pass (define "real"), that counts three goals".

Best regards

Thomas Röfer

Dr. Thomas Röfer                   Office Address:
DFKI-Lab Bremen                    Universität Bremen
Safe and Secure Cognitive Systems  Cartesium 0.055
Robert-Hooke-Str. 5                Bibliothekstr. 1
28359 Bremen, Germany              28359 Bremen, Germany
http://www.dfki.de                 www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~roefer

Phone: +49 (421) 218-64200
Fax:   +49 (421) 218-9864200
eMail: Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de