[robocup-legged] Thinking about the future of our league ...

Nuno Lopes ncpl at mega.ist.utl.pt
Sun Sep 24 14:09:31 EDT 2006

> I would like to refer to a very related issue that is which kind of
> competitions we will have in our league after 2007. As long as I
> remember, in the last RoboCup 2006 team leaders' meeting it was decided
> to use AIBO robots at the RoboCup 2007 (July 2007), and during RobCup
> 2007 to decide what to do for 2008. I believe that a decision for 2008
> should be taken before July 2007.

I absolutely agree that we should start discussing this problem as early as
possible.

> 2. Typically the qualification procedure in our league (and in all
> other leagues) is in February, each year. Considering that an average
> team will need at least 6 months for porting the current soccer
> software to the new platform, the teams will need to have the new
> robots one year in advance to the competitions in their labs. That
> means that the decision about the new platform should be taken at least
> 18 months before the first time they will be used in an official
> RoboCup competition (money should be allocated and robots need to be
> bought).

I just wanted to add that we currently have an open-source project that
implements the OPEN-R API. It isn't finished, but it is already capable of
running an OPEN-R object on a standard pc (linux and Mac only, for now). So
the estimated time to migrate to a new platform is well.. the recompilation
time :)
Although the project isn't finished (yet), I'm sure that if agreed and with
all teams working on the project, it would be finished in a month or even
less.
--> http://opensdk.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Nuno Lopes