[robocup-legged] Legged league team survey

Michael Quinlan mquinlan at cs.newcastle.edu.au
Wed Jun 7 22:33:49 EDT 2006

Hi Colin,
   We are flying out in a few hours so these answers are a bit short ;)
I would be happy to answer more when in Bremen.

 > 1. What is your team name? Where is your team from?

NUBots, University of Newcaslte in Australia

 > 2. How many years has your team been involved in RoboCup?

This is our 5th year in the legged league

 > 3. Who is your faculty team leader?
 > 4. Who is your student team leader?

I am team leader .. Michael Quinlan. Technically I'm no longer a student
  but since I just finished I probably fall into both of the above.

 > 5. Is there an achievement you are particularly proud of?

Our 2nd place in 2005 and the fact we have never finished below 3rd.

 > 6. What are your research interests?

Systems and Control, Machine Learning (Dimensionality Reductions,
Support Vector Machines, Computer Vision, Evolutionary Algorithms),
Statistics (Bayesian Learning)

 > 7. Is your university competing in other RoboCup events this year?

Not this year .. we did compete in Rescue last year.

 > 8. What are the names of your robots?

Our older robots have names that we generated by stickers we had around
the lab (i.e Triangle, Circle, Star etc). Our newer robots have been
named after ex-team members (Kenny, Stephen, Graham, Baccus). Some are
still unnamed.

 > 9. Any other interesting facts about your team? (For example: all
 > undergraduates, all new members, new algorithm for vision this year,
 > etc.)

Off the top of my head ... no.

 > 10. Any inspirational quotes or other words of wisdom?

I will give you these there.

Thanks,
Michael