[robocup-legged] 11 vs. 11 on a Mid-Size League Field

Hans-Dieter Burkhard hdb at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue May 30 08:28:05 EDT 2006

Dear all,

the demo-game 11 vs. 11 is now scheduled in the program
for the Center Court in Bremen. It will take place at
Saturday (17th). Four legged league will set a milestone
in the history of RoboCup.

It is not difficult to develop a running code. The minimal
change needed is to adapt to the midsize field with
the original goals of MSL. You need to make your robots localize
on this larger field and to manage roles for 11 players.

We will have markers with the
colors (each color 20 cm) of the Four-Legged League field,
in total 60 cm high and 20 cm wide. Actually the experience
of Eindhoven shows that the large MSL-goals provide for good
localization (the field is large enough :-).

Just doing these changes, a team can play!

Additionally:

- WLAN communication will be helpful.

- Because of the large field, more and longer passes are possible,
  leading to a better appearance.

German team will be prepared to play 11 vs. 11. We hope that some
other teams will start, too. At least from countries with more
teams and long tradition! Be sure to have a lot of fun.

We also hope for cooperation of all teams for providing the
22 robots.

Can you please answer in which way you can help to make this
game a great event.

See you in Bremen

Dieter

> Dear all,
>
> during Dutch Open in Eindhoven, we organized a demo match with 11 by 11
> AIBOs on the Mid-Size League field. If we are right, it was the first
match
> of full teams in RoboCup with real robots. We will have another game
> (hopefully with teams from other countries) in Bremen. It is really a
pity,
> that we cannot continue with the AIBOs in the future. The game was
better
> than expected, we will send some fotos/videos later. At the same time
it
> became obvious that there will be a lot of challenges concerning
> coordination and cooperation for larger teams.
>
> We used the field with original Mid-Size goals and field lines. The
Mid-Size
> landmarks appeared to be too high to be recognized from short
distances.
> Therefore we made new landmarks with the colors of the Four-Legged
League
> field, 60 cm high and 20 cm wide.
>
> Since the fields were occupied by the MSL teams most of the time (big
> surprise :-), we had very few time for testing. The color blue in the
goal
> was recognized as black when using short shutter times, but with longer
> times it became useful. Because the color of the blue goal matches the
color
> of blue AIBO uniforms, a red team played against a white team.
>
> We used a simple version of the GermanTeam code with static field
regions
> for the robots, programmed by Daniel Goehring, Max Riesler, and Sven
Oesau.