[robocup-legged] Wireless access point/router for AIBOs

Michail G. Lagoudakis lagoudakis at ieee.org
Wed Mar 22 02:35:59 EST 2006

I was wondering what kind of wireless access points or routers people
are using to connect to their AIBOs. We are using a LinkSys WRT54G for
our ERS7 (2 Mind2 and 2 Mind3) and it gives us all kinds of problems,
apart from being extremely slow. Could some teams suggest brands/models
that have been tested and are known to work well?

Also, we noticed differences between DHCP and static IP address
assignment. Static in general is more reliable, whereas with DHCP more
than half the time, the AIBOs do not get an address. In parallel, we
connected two laptops wirelessly and we had no problem at all. It seems
to me that the card on the ERS-7 is somewhat weak.

Another difference we noticed is when DHCP is relayed by the access
point to another DHCP server on the network. If DHCP is performed by the
access point itself there is higher chance of getting an address.

We will appreciate any help.

Michail
TUC, Crete, Greece