[robocup-legged] Challenge rule changes?

Wed Mar 8 23:36:36 EST 2006

Hi all,

   rUNSWift has started making goals for the Australian Open.  We've
found a few things that might be improved.  Rather than just
announcing changes, I wanted to check if these changes would affect
many teams first :).

   Photos of various variations on the challenge goals are on the web
here:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/Goals/

  (The crossbar should be yellow, but we haven't coloured them yet)

   i) Currently the crossbar is centred 30 cm off the ground.  This
makes the bottom of the crossbar quite low.  I suggest this be
changed so that the _bottom_ of the crossbar is 30cm from the field.

   ii) The crossbar is currently 10cm in diameter.  I wonder if this
wouldn't be better as 5cm diameter.  I don't think it makes a huge
difference for the robots, but it gives the audience a better view of
the action around the goal.  We are planning to keep the posts at
10cm diameter (Some of the pictures above show 5cm posts - we think
these are a little thin).

   iii) The rules currently specifiy the type of join between the
crossbar and the posts.  we are planning to make this a little vaguer
- any way of joining the crossbar to the posts would be ok.

Does anyone object to those changes for the international
competition?  If I don't get any objections soon, we'll make the
changes official and update the rules.  We understand if local opens
wish to stick with the old rules if they are coming up soon.

Be well,

Will            :-}