[robocup-legged] OpenR SDK licencing issues

Nuno Lopes ncpl at mega.ist.utl.pt
Wed Feb 15 11:25:46 EST 2006

Hi,

Today the author of the AiboPet site made a post about some concerns about
Open-R licencing issues.

Quoting AiboPet
(https://openr.aibo.com/cgi-bin/openr/e_regi/im_trbbs.cgi?uid=general&df=bbs.dat&prm=TAN&pg=1&no=1971#1971):

"               The OpenR SDK is not in the public domain. I advice you
re-read that EULA non-
                disclosure agreement. Not only can't you sell things created
with it, but you
                can't legally re-distribute the SDK components either.

                So under the current licensing terms, once this website goes
away - the Open
                SDK will be dead. You can continue to use it, but you can't
propagate it to
                new people.
                If the licensing terms change, it can be terminated even
sooner.

                BTW: we just went through this with the CLIE SDK components.
The CLIE
                developer website went away (fortunately with a long enough
advanced warning).
                People are mirroring the contents, but that's not exactly
legal."

I haven't read the licence myself (there are two currently), but he raises a
valid concern. So, it would be good if someone could do some pressure on
Sony to either put Open-R sdk binaries in public domain or licence the
source code under some acceptable licence (GPL or even LGPL).

Best Regards,
Nuno Lopes