[robocup-legged] race of robots on legs: report & rematch Fr Jun 16

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jun 15 07:15:33 EDT 2006

Dear 4-Legged and Humanoid Teams,

Thanks a lot to all teams that participated in yesterday's legged robot
race which was a lot of fun and made it a great success for the audience:
rUNSWift, NUbots, MSH Dortmund, Tsinghua Hephaestus, Jolly Pochie, German
Team and Darmstadt Dribblers & Hajime Humanoid Team. Thank you!!

The first robot to reach the finishing line was from Jolly Pochie,
only half of a mouth in front of the next runner up.
The time was 18.38 sec for a distance of 7.88 m
which makes an average speed of about 42.9 m/s or 1.54 km/h.
Different robots were clearly leading half of the distance
but then turned too much to the side.
Therefore the above speed is not the maximum achievable speed.
Also, if the race would have been only a bit longer a runner-up robot
might have outrun the winner.
Interestingly our humanoid robot reached the fifth place but needed some
human assistance to be turned back to the right direction.
Of course, all robots did not use vision but only fast forward motion.

I was asked for a rematch by several teams. The time slot for the
rematch is now scheduled for

	*** Friday, June 16th, 4:00 - 4:30 pm ***

at the Center Court.

Due to space limitations, seven, may be eight, teams can participate.

If you are interested participating in this race rematch please send me an
email. We will meet on Friday at 4:15 at the entrance to the Center Court
from the side of the four-legged fields.

Cheers,
Oskar