[robocup-legged] Legged Qualification FAQ

Wed Mar 1 01:04:56 EST 2006

Hi all,

   I've had a number of queries asking for further details on the
qualification process.  I thought I'd post here to let everyone know
what was going on.  I do NOT want to open a debate about the 2006
qualification process - this is a zero sum game and I don't want to
bias the decision towards the teams that complain loudest.  Non-zero
sum suggestions are welcome.

A quick check reveals 35 teams submitted qualification material.  One
thing that statistic doesn't show over previous years is the
improvement in application quality: not only were there more
applications this year, but they were generally of better quality
than previous years.  That meant that it was harder to qualify this
year than in previous years.

Some of the emails I have received have asked a few questions:

Q: How were the qualified teams decided?  Can I get a copy of the
reviews?

A: The teams were decided by the technical committee.  Each committee
member reviewed the materials submitted and then the teams were
discussed over email.  Various committee members went back and
reviewed specific aspects of specific teams where required, but we
mostly did not generate specific review sheets.  There was no
specific list of requirements by which the teams were sorted - the
committee discussed various aspects of what makes a good team, but in
the end each committee member gave their own weights to the various
criteria.  These FAQs are my attempt to summarise the discussion.

Q: Can we increase the number of teams from 24?

A: Unfortunately not.  I would love to do this, as it would mean we
wouldn't have to disappoint people.  Unfortunately we only have 4
fields and a fixed time.  We simply couldn't fit the games.

   One possibility that has been floated is opening up the challenges
to more teams.  This may well be possible, but we've only just
started looking into it.  If teams that missed out on qualification
are interested in this option, could they please email
legged_tech at tzi.de

Q: Why are there so few new teams?

A: The technical committee has a slightly longer term view of 'new'.
The first year a team is at the international competition, they
generally learn a lot.  We would like them to get the opportunity to
show that they can use this their second year.  From memory there
were three teams in this category this year.  Adding these to the
'new teams' count gives us four 'new teams'.  I think that is a
reasonable number.

Q: Why are there 5 American teams and 5 Japanese teams?  Isn't that
almost half the league from two countries.

A: It is even worse than you suggest!  There are 3 Australian teams,
and that is a much higher proportion by population density.  The
answer is that while we considered region when pre-qualifying teams,
it was given a very low weight.  It was more used to break ties than
anything else.  If there was no team from a region that might have
carried more weight, but I don't think that was a major consideration.

   The combination of the last two points has affected some countries
more than others.  Where the legged league has increased in
popularity relatively quickly in one region of the world, it can be
very difficult for new teams to secure a place in the international
competition.  All I can suggest at this point is a) entering your
local competition, and b) apply again next year.

Q: Code reuse: good or bad?

A: This has been a contentious issue for a while across many leagues
in RoboCup, and there was much discussion at the RoboCup 05 legged
league wrap-up meeting about code sharing as well.  Teams who had
been working on their own code were concerned that a new team could
come in, make a change in one area of the previous year's winning
code, and do very well; whereas teams that wrote their own code were
struggling to catch up.  Given that the new team is starting with
very high quality code, their changes don't even necessarily improve
the code.

 From the point of scientific development, code sharing is not a bad
thing.  You want to stand on the shoulders of others, not their
toes.  If you can modify someone else's code and win the competition,
then that is wonderful.

 From the point of view of teams trying to acquire funding and
reputation it is more of an issue.  As an extreme case, consider a
team is simply a random change on the previous winner's code.
They're not really helping scientific progress - they're just
flooding the league with clones.  Other things being equal, a
reduction in diversity is a bad thing.

Finding the right balance these two points of view is not easy - the
fact that the TC would try to find a balance should not have been a
surprise.

We are not the first RoboCup league to face this problem.  In the
early days of the simulation league, CMU released their code.  The
next year the league had many clones.  They also had a debate about
how to deal with this.  CMU did not release their simulator team
source code again (for a while - they may have started again - at
least partially).  They decided that people could re-implement their
published algorithms, but not just copy the code.

It should be noted that the NUbots, who placed 2nd in the
international competition in 2005, completely re-implemented their
code between the 2004 and the 2005 competitions.  This was done with
a fairly small, but very skilled and motivated, team.  This suggests
that re-implementing published algorithms is not too great a burden
in the legged league.

We tried this year to at least get a look at how much code was
changed from previous teams, rather than going on Technical Committee
guesses.  Last year there were many clones.  This year we swung back
the other way a bit.  I personally don't think we've found the
perfect balance yet - but then I haven't seen anyone articulate the
perfect balance, let alone try to implement it in the real world.

Q: How is qualification going to change in future years?

A: Each year the technical and organising committees decides who
qualifies.  That means that the real answer depends on who is elected
to the committees.  I can give my personal opinions though.

The quality of the league has been improving, and the number of teams
applying has been increasing.  I see two options: increase the size
of the international competition, or make the international
competition more elite.

Increasing the size of the competition is going to cost money.  I
don't know where we would get said money.

Making the international competition more elite is not necessarily a
bad thing, but it does mean that the league as a whole would rely
more on the local competitions - they could be used to decide more of
the qualifications.  The problem with this is that the local
competitions are often quite late - teams wouldn't know they were
qualified until way after they should have booked their trip.

Suggestions for how the league should grow and change are always
welcome.  I suggest they go to the robocup-legged at cc.gatech.edu
mailing list (perhaps cc'd to the technical or organising committee).

Be well,

Will           :-}

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 8306 0424               Computer Science and Engineering

Web: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/   or  http://www.nicta.com.au/

NICTA email Disclaimer:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/NICTAEmailDisclaimer.html
UNSW email Disclaimer: