[robocup-humanoid] Humanoid Robots- NEED EXPERT ADVICE

Damien Kee damien at domabotics.com
Thu Oct 8 17:33:01 EDT 2015

I'm going to be "that person" and ask what I believe is the fundamental
question, "what are you trying to teach?"  I view robotics not as a subject
but as a tool for teaching STEM topics.  We're not teaching robotics, we're
using robotics as a really engaging way of teaching STEM concepts.  All
educational decisions need to first address what is trying to be achieved,
and then as a secondary measure, identifying the tools that can be used to
teach those concepts.  If robots are a good fit to teach those concepts,
then that's great, otherwise you look to other technologies / tools to
teach those concepts.

Why do you need to use humanoids for teaching?  This is a genuinely open
question.  Is there something that a humanoid platform enables that other
platforms don't?  More engagement?  More context to robots in society?  All
are valid approaches.

If the concepts can be taught with a simpler / cheaper system, then as an
educational organisation this is probably a better way to go.  How many
LEGO/VEX/Arduino kits can you purchase for the same price as one humanoid?

Me personally, I'd prefer to buy 100 arduino kits and reach 100x more
students than a NAO (US$20,000???)

Just my 2cents worth (although worth a lot less with the current AUD/USD
exchange rate!)

cheers
damo