[robocup-humanoid] Humanoid League Long Term Roadmap (1st Draft)

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Feb 3 03:42:10 EST 2014

Dear Teams and TCs,

First of all, I would like to thank the TC for preparing this excellent
draft of a roadmap. It is very important to have such a roadmap
to guide the development of the humanoid league.

I would also like to thank Luke, Joshiah, Marcell, Phil, Reinhard
for their detailed feedback.

I would like to add a few comments and suggestions.

The proposed longterm roadmap was developed by the TC after quite some
discussion.
It was purposely decided to describe the environment and gameplay
as the challenges to be met (but not to explicitly mention
the scientific and technological challenge to achieve them).

While this makes a lot of sense, I think it may be very helpful
to talk in addition about

a)
scientific research and technological developments to be addressed
in each 5 year period based on an analysis of the current state
to meet the robot challenges described in the roadmap
(e.g. like the suggestions made by Josiah & NUbots)

b)
current major limitations of progress in the HL and how
they could be overcome
(e.g. better share of software and hardware components
so that not almost every time has to re-invent the wheel,
e.g. many teams still do not have robust robot self localization)

c)
development, growth and improvements in the community of HL teams
(e.g. the suggestion by Phil for an entry level subleague
and a more advanced subleague of full-size robots).

So my suggestion is to continue discussions along roadmap
and the three categories a)-c). And to keep track of all of them.

As discussion by email is usually not very efficient on such complex
topics, I suggest to plan sufficient time for discussion
during RoboCup 2014, e.g. not only a dedicated meeting close to the
end, but also one before competitions start about roadmap and a)-c).

Best regads,
Oskar

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, Reinhard Gerndt wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> please use http://www.tzi.de/humanoid/pub/Website/Downloads/HumanoidLeagueProposedRoadmap.pdf to download the Roadmap.
>
> Regards
>
> Reinhard (OC)
>
> Am 13.01.2014 um 21:48 schrieb soroush sadeghnejad:
>
>> Dear HL teams,
>>
>> Up on the previous announcement of HL Technical Committee, the RoboCup
>> Federation called for a significant push in the rules towards the 2050
>> goal. Based on the ideas and discussions at the team leader meeting in
>> Eindhoven during RoboCup 2013, the Technical Committee has tried to propose
>> a long term road map for Humanoid League for reaching to this goal.
>>
>> The RoboCup Soccer Humanoid League roadmap has been constituted in the
>> year 2014 to lay out a rough plan of milestones that the Humanoid League
>> would have to reach on the way to the 2050 goal: to defeat the human
>> world champion soccer team in a fair game according to the FIFA rules.
>>
>> The idea of the roadmap is to define large changes to the environment
>> and the gameplay, which take effect every five years to encourage a
>> steady long term development of the league. For each five year min robot
>> height, filed length, max number of players in each team and also duration
>> of play per half have been proposed. The currently three size classes will
>> successively be reduced to two and finally one as the minimum robot heights
>> will be increased over the years. The planned technical challenges for this
>> duration have come at the end of each five years.
>>
>> The Technical Committee has uploaded the first roadmap draft for the
>> RoboCup
>> Humanoid League:
>> http://www.tzi.de/humanoid/bin/internal/view/Website/Downloads.
>>
>> We invite everybody to discuss about this proposal, to make additional
>> suggestions and give feedback. Only in this way, the long term roadmap will
>> be
>> able to address all teams' new ideas and suggestions. Please provide
>> feedback
>> via the HL mailing list.
>>
>> Sent on behalf of the
>> Humanoid League Technical Committee
>> Carlos Acosta, Jacky Baltes, Sven Behnke, Luis F. Lupian,
>> Marcell Missura, Soroush Sadeghnejad and Daniel Seifert

Prof. Dr. Oskar von Stryk           E-Mail: stryk(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-2513
and Robotics Group                  Fax:    ++49 (0) 6151-16-6648
Technische Universitaet Darmstadt   http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                    D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany