[robocup-humanoid] Humanoid League Rules Sound Communication

Luis F Lupián lupianl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 01:03:33 EDT 2013

Hello Jordan,

Section 4.4.1 states the following:

4.4.1. The only active external sensor allowed is sound ("human-like" with
respect to volume and frequency) with one loudspeaker on the robot. The
loudspeaker may be placed in the head, neck or trunk of the robot. Any
other active sensor (emitting light, sound, or electromagnetic waves into
the environment in order to measure reflections) is not allowed.

Although no one seems to be taking advantage of the possibilities offered
by this section of the rule book at the moment, the spirit of this
particular paragraph is to encourage audible communication between robots.
Human soccer players are allowed to talk to each other, so robots should
also be allowed to hold "human-like" communication amongst them.

I have to agree that section 4.5.2 seems to contradict this, so we should
make amendments to make it explicit that "human-like" communication between
robots is in fact allowed under the terms specified by section 4.4.1.

Also, this particular section does not mention anything about audible
communication between robot and human members of the team. I believe we
should take the opportunity to discuss in the TC whether we should allow or
disallow audible communication between humans and robots.

Kind regards,
Luis