[robocup-humanoid] Kinect on Robots with KSL

Daniel Seifert dseifert at fumanoids.de
Tue Feb 26 15:38:11 EST 2013

Dear Oriya,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Oriya Daniel <oriya.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear TC,
> Is it possible and is it OK according to the KSL rules to connect the
> kinect sensor to the robot?
> The kinect contains IR light and CMOS camera.
> Here you can find more details about the sensors:
> http://www.primesense.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PrimeSense_3DsensorsWeb.pdf

I assume by KSL you mean the KidSize League.

Please refer to section 4.4 of the rules at
http://www.tzi.de/humanoid/pub/Website/Downloads/HumanoidLeagueRules2013_DRAFT_20121010.pdf

"Teams participating in the Humanoid League competitions are
encouraged to equip their robots with sensors that have an equivalent
in human senses. [...]

1. The only active external sensor allowed is sound [...]. Any other
active sensor (emitting light, sound, or electromagnetic waves into
the environment in order to measure reflections) is not allowed."

The Kinect is emitting light (infrared light) and measures the
reflection. As such its use is not allowed in the humanoid league.

Daniel

dseifert at fumanoids.de
Phone +49 30 838 75-117 (Office), -125 (Lab)

Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Informatik
AG Intelligente Systeme und Robotik
Arnimallee 7