[robocup-humanoid] [4] Rule Suggestion: referee box advantage

Jörg Zimmer zimmer_j at rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Dec 15 04:19:13 EST 2009

Jacky Baltes wrote on 2009/09/22:

Refereebox:
-----------
To encourage teams to use the refereebox, the discussion was to give a
10s advantage to teams that use the refereebox [vote: 7/3].

Suggestion: Find a better solution than 10 seconds advantage to referee box
teams.

Justification:

We share the idea of giving referee box teams a stronger advantage or
disadvantage to non-referee box teams. But we see problems in the 10 seconds
solution. It would mean, that referee box teams may start 10 seconds earlier
than teams not using the referee box. So that referee box team either has to
wait until the ball is in play (10 seconds or touched by other team) what
reduces the advantage to nothing. Or the other team would not be allowed to
touch the ball before its in play anyway. So we will just promote having
robots not moving and waiting for the time to elapse. That would make the
game static and boring. Also we should avoid the situation that one team is
already moving and the other team has to be manually started by humans on
the field.

Some strong teams might be able to score goals within 10 seconds what would
make the game quite unfair. It would not be a nice way of winning a match if
the other team is not allowed to move.

So we like to have a discussion about this and try to find a better way to
motivate teams to use the referee box.

Note: To all who might not know yet: referee box = game controller software

Available here:  <http://sourceforge.net/projects/robocupgc/>
http://sourceforge.net/projects/robocupgc/