[robocup-humanoid] The essence of soccer

Peter Stone pstone at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 3 21:11:41 EST 2009

  [[ Apologies if you receive this multiple times ]]

RoboCup soccer colleagues,

I'm writing to let you know about an article that I recently wrote with
Michael Quinlan and Todd Hester on "The essence of soccer" that is now
available from my website:

     http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone/Papers/bib2html/b2hd-PHILOSOC10.html

It will appear in the book "Soccer and Philosophy" sometime before the
world cup.

In it, we list a proposed set of rules for a match between humans and
robots that should lead people to agree that robots are better than
people if they win.

I truly believe that because of all of your/our efforts, that that match
will happen by the year 2050.  If so, I hope that the article will serve
as a good starting point for the rules of the match.  At the end of the
article, we acknowledge all RoboCuppers from your contributions.

Please feel free to share this article with anyone who might be
interested.

Best,
	Peter

___

Peter Stone, Associate Professor
Department of Computer Sciences    phone: 512-471-9796
The University of Texas at Austin  fax:   512-471-8885
1 University Station C0500         pstone at cs.utexas.edu
Austin, Texas 78712-0233  U.S.A.   http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~pstone