[robocup-humanoid] Discussion at the Robot Soccer WS at the Humanoids 2007

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jan 17 16:43:23 EST 2008

Dear Sven, Dear Teams,

> My questions to the TC are:
> * Should the goalie get some reaction time by requiring a larger minimal
> kicking distance, e.g. the PK distance used so far?

As Jacky pointed out earlier I do not think this is needed.
If the striker tries to dribble the ball close to the goal area lines
it risks that the ball rolls into it without kicking.

> * Should there be a minimal distance between TeenSize robots? Having
> both striker and goalie at the goal area line could be dangerous to the
> robots.

That is a good point. We do not want to have one robot damaged by
another robot that falls down.

Ideally TeenSize robots should be leightweight enough
and equiped with a kind of shock protection to avoid damage
(like many KidSize robots).

The alternative is to have robot on the field.

I am not sure how to handle this point.
The best solution would be TeenSize robots that can fall
without breaking.

> Another important issue for TeenSize Dribble-and-Kick is robot handlers
> on the field.
> These make it much more difficult for the goalie to observe the striker.

Perhaps a pragmatic solution would be that TeenSize robots which need a
robot handler around them because the cannot fall down without breaking
themselves or other robots easily should get kind of a disadvantage.

I really would like to hear the opinion of the TeenSize teams
on this point, especially the participants from 2007.

With best regards,
Oskar