[robocup-humanoid] Rule Discussion at the Robot Soccer WS at the Humanoids 2007

Thomas Röfer Thomas.Roefer at dfki.de
Wed Jan 16 15:47:14 EST 2008

> If the obstacle challenge should become more difficult we should
> rather reduce the minimum distance between poles in KidSize from 50 to
> 45cm
> but not increase the number of poles.

Some thoughts about that:

1. We can reduce the number of poles by defining that the robots always have
to pass between two poles. So if the poles would be crowded in the middle of
the field, teams were not allowed to go around the cluster on the left or on
the right.

2. A fixed minimum distance between poles favors teams with small robots. A
robot with a height of 60 cm can have a diameter of 33 cm (0.55 * h). That's
only 6 cm to each side if the gaps are 45 cm. Obviously teams are not forced
to build thick robots, but it also has not been a goal of the league to
build thin ones. Maybe the minimum distance between the poles should relate
to the diameter of the robot (minimum cylinder).

- Thomas