[robocup-humanoid] Call for pre-registration

Walter Nistico walter.nistico at udo.edu
Fri Jan 5 07:25:42 EST 2007

Hi,
as Thomas said, we also feel that the deadline for the submission of
qualification material came a bit early and short on notice (the previous
announcement did not really fix a date, and was performed only informally
on the mailing list).
The 4-Legged League for example has fixed such deadline roughly 4 weeks
later (15th of February), and compared to that league, having a running
humanoid system is significantly harder, since there is also hardware
design, implementation and testing involved.
Such an early deadline severely complicates the possibility to use
completely new or significantly modified robots for the qualification
process of old teams, and of course it makes it even harder for new teams
to be able to apply.
We understand the concerns about the visas, but this issue applies equally
to all the RoboCup leagues, so we'd expect to see more consistency among
the deadlines of the different leagues.
Since most people comes back from vacations on the 8th of January, we'd
suggest to allow around one month for preparing the qualification material
(so to schedule the deadline to the beginning of February); by the middle
of January instead, it could be expressed from the applicants an "intent
to participate" which could be used from the TC as a first estimate about
the potential number of participating teams.
Best regards,
Walter Nistico
(DoH!Bots)

> Hi,
>
> since I got no answer from Michael to a direct reply to the announcement
below, I will try it again here:

> ------
> Isn't the deadline a little bit early (and quite short on notice?). The
submission of qualification material was always due around the middle of
February during past years. Everybody is on vacation until January 8, so
you
> are basically asking us to prepare the qualification material in little
more
> than one week. And there are also other things to do than just RoboCup.
>
> In contrast, the 4-legged league will stick to the well-known schedule,
so
> teams have to submit qualification material on Feb 15, and we will
decide
> until Feb 28.
> ------
>
> BTW: It would be nice to have mailing lists available to reach the
Humanoid TC and OC.

bounces at cc.gatech.edu] Im Auftrag von N. Michael Mayer
>> Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Dezember 2006 06:15
>> An: robocup-humanoid at cc.gatech.edu
>> Betreff: [robocup-humanoid] Call for pre-registration
>> Dear everybody,
>> this is the official call for pre-registration to the Humanoid League
at the RoboCup 2007.  As  announced  earlier: The material submitted
for
the pre-registration will be evaluated in a qualification process. All
teams that intend to participate at any of the the Humanoid League
competitions at RoboCup 2007 must pre-register in the way described below
and undergo the qualification process.
>> Please visit the pre-registration page at
>> http://er04.ams.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/humanoid-robocup/
>> Please apply for an account and fill out the following forms:
>> 1. The pre-registration form for each team
>> 2. For each type of robot you want to use in the competition: the robot
type form
>> Deadline for pre-registration: January 19th, 2007
>> Notification of acceptance: Until Feb. 12th
>> In the pre-registration form you are going to be asked to submit a link
to a location where we can download your team description paper (TDP) and
a video. That server must be up and reachable at any time between January
18th and February 9th.
>> One group (one institution, one disjunct set of people) can only apply
as one team in the KidSize class and/or one team in the TeenSize class. We
are not going to  accept double teams in the same size class.
CRITERIA FOR QUALIFICATION
>> Criteria for the qualification are the following:
>> 1. The video of  a regular Penalty Kick - no PK video means no
>> qualification
>> Note: It has to be demonstrated a regular penalty kick - striker part -
, e.g.
>> demonstration of sufficient skills in
>> (1) localization of unknown ball position,
>> (2) walking ability towards the ball,
>> (3) robot positioning at the ball for kicking,
>> (4) kicking the ball.
>> 2. Team Description Paper.
>> The TDP is reviewed according to the following criteria: Formal
correctness (right tex-style, English text in full
>> sentences etc.), technical soundness, extras (really original
>> work parts.
>> 3. correct and complete answers to our prepared questions
>> about teams & specs in the online questionaire.
>> Michael

Eng. Walter Nistico
Robotics Research Institute (IRF)
Information Technology Section