[robocup-humanoid] [rc07humanoid] Re: Request for Votes 1: Relaxing of the size limitations

Oskar von Stryk stryk at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Oct 27 17:13:12 EDT 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Jacky Baltes wrote:

> 1.) There is a clear vision for me at least. Humanoid proportions. What is

Jacky, but which are humanoid proportions and which are not?
Shall it be based on real human data on the so-called percentile range?
Or when, for example, may it become a Gorilla robot by stretching
the ranges and uncertainties in the definition?
Gorillas can walk on two legs as well, they just use their arms as
additional supports.

> differs is the timetable for reaching this vision. I think there are many
> problems to work
> on and so I think these minor proportions can be deemphasized to reduce the
> costs of building a robot and to allow more teams to compete.

Yes, teams should be encouraged to participate!

> 2.) Last year, I spent quite a bit of time during the weigh-in:
> The Bioloids and Kondos all had problems with the maximum width
> The Kondos had problems with the leg length
> Teams that used a commercial Kondo camera module had problems with the head
> height

OK, your experience convinces me to agree to the extended ranges.

For the Kondo and Bioloid, as far as I remember, there is no difference
between visible and real leg length.
But nevertheless, the leg and arm definitions should be made
according to their real and not their visible lengths
and Fig. 2 in the rule draft (or the text) should be updated to include
the corresponding joint positions in the shoulder and hip
to define leg and arm lengths.

The rule draft should get out quickly now!!!

All teams should know about important changes like foot size etc.
as soon as possible!

Thank you.
With best regards,
Oskar