[mlpack] Towards a robust deep learning module for FastML | Guidance for GSOC'16

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 13 10:34:34 EDT 2016

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome!

> I have great interests in contributing to the FastML code base, particularly in
> extending or improving deep learning modules within FastML. In particular, I
> would like to implement GRUs and augment the current implementation of LSTMs to
> include peephole connections which have become very popular.

It would be great to see more deep learning modules, that said I would really
like to see a GRU implementation in the future. The LSTM layer already includes
an implementation of peephole connections.

> I would also like to implement the CBOW and the word2vec models for FastML as
> they have also become quite popular in the NLP community.

I think it doesn't make much sense to pick various methods an implement them,
without providing a model to use them. On the other side, I'm not sure that the
project is enough work for 3 months, in which you are expected to work full-time.
However, If you want to continue down that path, maybe we can
find something that fits better with the codebase.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks, Marcus