[mlpack] [GSOC 2016] Contribute for MLPack

Parijat Dewangan parijat10 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:11:03 EST 2016

Hello Marcus and Ryan,

I am working on the first idea  - Implement tree types. I went through the
archive mails, followed the instructions provided there.

Following are the things I worked on till now -
1. Building of MLPack.
2. Going through the library of MLPack and using the already implemented
algorithms through command line.
3. Having a sound knowledge of the paper "Tree-Independent Dual-Tree
Algorithms". Since I have a good command over data structures and
algorithms, I understood the concept of space trees and the way it is used
in implementing algorithms like k-nearest neighbors, range search etc as
explained in the paper. I have qualified for various algorithmic
competitions so understanding various trees and its implementation won't be
a problem as I have used many trees algorithms before.

Currently, I am going through the codes of the already implemented tree
types in src/mlpack/core/tree/ as the new algorithms would be based on the
same template and style. Could you specify any tree type I should start
reading about?

While I am very interested in the previously mentioned project, I am also
eager to work on Decision trees' and 'Fast k-centers algorithms and its
implementation'.

Is there any work/reading that you think I should do in order to be better
prepared to write a good proposal for GSOC 2016.

I appreciate the documentation of MLPack. It is well written and
systematic. :)

Regards,
Parijat Dewangan
+91 - 9966756771