[mlpack] GSOC 2016 Student Contribution

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Mar 2 11:17:33 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 10:47:32AM +0530, Falit Jain wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am Falit Jain, final year student at Delhi Technological University,
> currently pursuing Software Engineering. I have previously interned at
> Amazon.com as Software Developer.
> I have implemented Ant Miner Plus algorithm ( which is similar to decision
> tree algorithm , but based upon ant colony optimization) .in C++ as part of
> my major project and used for Software Defect Prediction. My expertise are
> c++ and python.
>
> Upon seeing listed projects, I was interested in Dataset and
> Experimentation tools & Decision tree.
>
> Apart from these , my proposed ideas are AntMinerPlus Algorithms or Ant
> colony Optimization algorithms which are based on swarm intelligence and
>  are generally not found over the internet implemented ( especially in c++
> ).
>
> I'd like to contribute to MLPack :)

Hi Falit,

The AntMiner+ algorithm sounds interesting, but I can't access any of
the papers about it.  Before taking the time to implement something like
that in mlpack, we will have to verify that there is a compelling use
case for it (i.e. there is some situation in which it outperforms
decision trees or other typical algorithms, whether that is with respect
to classification error or training time).  It's very easy to spend a
lot of time implementing an algorithm that is actually not very useful
(I have done this too many times...) so we should take the time and
verify that it is a good idea before starting with the project. :)

Thanks!

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!  This is the
ryan at ratml.org | War Room!" - President Muffley