[mlpack] Implementing MDS

Dhawal Arora d.p.arora1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:42:28 EST 2015

Hi Ryan,

Sorry couldn't keep up with the superLU lately. Its kinda going a bit slow
here right now as my exams are going on. Sad that mlpack couldn't make it
through this time, badly wanted to complete this manifold stuff this
summer. But i still would like to contribute. Had a look at the metrics,
using mahalonobis for euclidean distance although working to implement some
other distances too.

following this paper(for MDS) although i've read the paper on the ideas
page:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~aghodsib/courses/f06stat890/readings/tutorial_stat890.pdf

a proof(pg 16) in his paper helped me switch to above implementation.
http://www.lcayton.com/resexam.pdf

Also Is it over with eigs_sym_pair() ? Could you please tell where
eigs_sym_pair() would fit in here? Right now in MDS i am using eigs_pair
and eigs_sym of armadillo.
Also not getting any clear idea or paper for non-metric MDS. If you could
help on this. Will then probably try testing it in comparison to scikit.

Thanks.

Regards,
Dhawal Arora.