[mlpack] Introduction - Gautam Kishore

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 12 10:40:30 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 09:23:11PM +0530, Gautam Kishore wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
> I am Gautam Kishore, undergrad student(Discipline Electrical Engg.) at
> IIT-Roorkee. I'd like to participate in Gsoc 2014 with mlpack and I'm
> interested in* Improvement of tree traverser*.
> I am an undergraduate student at IIT Roorkee. I am interseted in machine
> learning and data mining and would love to more work on these topics.
> I have taken courses in Algorithms and data structures, ANN and data mining
> during my college years.
> Kindly guide me on how to research on topic and improve my chances of being
> with your team during GSOC 2014.

Hello Gautam,

A good place to start is by working through the mlpack tutorials and
making sure you can get mlpack to compile and understand how to use it.
Once you've done that, you should probably read about the ideas behind
dual-tree algorithms, since your interest is in the 'improvement of tree
traversers' project.  You might start here:

http://machinelearning.wustl.edu/mlpapers/paper_files/icml2013_curtin13.pdf

There are a lot of references in that document, and you should probably
read most of them to get a good idea of what is going on (especially the
cover tree paper by Langford).

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin    | "And do not attempt to grow a brain!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Sgt. Howard Payne