[mlpack] linker error in mlpack installation

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 4 13:12:34 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 06:21:41PM +0100, Gilles Barges wrote:
> Le 4 déc. 2013 à 17:59, Ryan Curtin a écrit :
> >  But disabling ARMA_USE_LAPACK and ARMA_USE_BLAS means that Armadillo doesn't have
> > LAPACK or BLAS support and things like solve() won't work (so some
> > mlpack executables will terminate with an Armadillo error message
> > indicating that LAPACK and BLAS aren't available).
>
> yes, but…
>
> 1) I have to disable BLAS/LAPACK in Armadillo to link mlpack.dylib
>
> 2) after making mlpack, I install it (/usr/local/...)
>
> 3) build my prog, launch it, it fails on inv() : BLAS is missing
>
> 4) I _activate again_ BLAS/LAPACK in Armadillo and re-build my program
>
> 5) my programs works !

Ok, so what I think is happening here is that you are not using any
parts of mlpack that use BLAS/LAPACK, but you are using Armadillo
functionality that depends on BLAS/LAPACK (you are calling inv()
somewhere in your program?).

When you re-build your program, are you linking with -lblas -llapack
-larmadillo, or just -larmadillo?

--
Ryan Curtin       | "You got to stick with your principles."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Harry Waters