[mlpack] Help required on building project proposal for automatic bindings

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 29 14:51:47 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28:36PM +0530, rohith p wrote:
> Hi Ryan ,
>
>      I have been going through the daily digest and interests of different
> people. I am a newbie here. I started with looking into Matlab bindings and
> after looking at your suggestion of automatic bindings, I believe that
> Automatic bindings is also possible within the given time frame.
>
>      I am looking forward for your help in building a project plan with
> clear understanding of deliverable. Hope to hear soon from you....

Hello Rohith,

The automatic bindings project should provide a program which can be
used to transform some kind of "algorithm definition" into a working
executable or working bindings for other languages.  The project is very
open-ended, so basically the only requirements are that

 1) it is an easy system for developers to use, and
 2) maintainers do not have to maintain a different binding for each
    language.

One idea might look a little like this (assuming my ASCII art isn't
mangled in your mail reader):

                   +-------------------------+
                   | binding definition file |
                   +-------------------------+

                 +-----------------------------+
                 | automatic binding generator |
                 +-----------------------------+
                  /             |             \
                 /              |              \
                V               V               V
            | cli |        | MATLAB |      | python |

Hopefully this provides the insight you are looking for.  If there are
other questions I can answer, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin       | "If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it!"
ryan at igglybob.com |   - Skull Kid