[mlpack] [GSoc2013] Interested in developing collaborative filtering package

Ajinkya Kale kaleajinkya at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:02:01 EDT 2013

Hi Nilesh,

Do you have a link to the site where you deployed the recommendation engine
?
It would be good if you can point us to any code you might have written for
it..
What algorithms did you use, and did you use just the apis or implemented
any of the CF algorithms from scratch?

--ajinkya

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Nilesh Chakraborty <nilesh at nileshc.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a 3rd year undergraduate student of computer science, pursuing my
> B.Tech degree at RCC Institute of Information Technology. I am fairly good
> in C++, and working on brushing it up for this project, and proficient in
> Java, PHP and C#.
>
> Among the project ideas on the GSoC 2013 ideas page, the one particular
> idea that seemed really interesting to me is developing a collaborative
> filtering package<http://www.mlpack.org/trac/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Collaborativefilteringpackage>for mlpack. I want to work on it.
>
> I am passionate about data mining, big data and recommendation engines,
> therefore this idea naturally appeals to me a lot. I have experience with
> building music and people recommendation systems, and have worked with
> Myrrix and Apache Mahout. I recently designed and implemented such a
> recommendation system and deployed it on a live production site, where I'm
> interning at, to recommend Facebook users to each other depending upon
> their interests.
>
> I am familiar with a few collaborative filtering algorithms and familiar
> with the Mahout APIs. Mahout contains a whole bunch of collaborative
> filtering algorithm implementations in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste (here is
> a quick overview :
> https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/recommender-documentation.html). Myrrix (
> https://code.google.com/p/myrrix-recommender/) focuses on matrix
> factorization through Alternate Least Squares - it's fast, and it
> eliminates the cold start problem where the recommender has too little data
> to provide any useful recommendations.
>
> I have since long searched for good C++ libraries for collaborative
> filtering but to no avail. Having something like this in mlpack will be
> fabulous. I can use Mahout and Myrrix code among other things as
> implementation references, since Mahout is easily the most "complete" CF
> library around.
>
> I browsed around the source and checked out the mlpack API for available
> methods. Please let me know what should be my next course of action, what I
> can do to dig in, get myself acquainted.
>
> Please share your views and do ask me if you have any questions. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Nilesh
>
> --
> A quest eternal, a life so small! So don't just play the guitar, build one.
> You can also email me at contact at nileshc.com or visit my website<http://www.nileshc.com/>

Sincerely,
Ajinkya
http://ajinkya.info