[mlpack] GSoC : Matlab bindings project

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 18 11:50:22 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 06:42:07AM +0530, Chandravadan Subraveti wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently pursuing my masters in Computer Science at the International
> Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad, India (IIIT-H). I'm really
> fascinated by Machine Learning, having taken Prof. Andrew Ng's ML course
> online and subsequently taking a similar course as a part of my graduate
> studies.
>
> Also, having built an Iris Recognition System in Matlab as my bachelors
> project,I am quite familiar with Matlab which is why I'd like to apply for
> this project at GSoC. Over the last few days, I have downloaded, built and
> gone through mlpack's source and tutorials, as well as the official
> documentation for Mex file writing. I would be grateful for further
> directions/resources on Mex file writing and the algorithms used by mlpack,
> which would help me gain further intuition about the project.

Hello Chandravadan,

Given your background I think you might be overqualified for the simple
implementation of MATLAB bindings.  The rest of the bindings should have
all the options available in the _main.cpp files (found in
src/mlpack/methods/*/), similar to the existing bindings.

I think maybe a better fit for you is the automatic bindings project:

http://www.mlpack.org/trac/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Automaticbindings

That project would give a way to automatically generate MATLAB, Python,
and R bindings, which would be much easier to maintain than having to
maintain each binding individually.

Let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer.

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin       | "Think!  What to do!"
ryan at igglybob.com |   - The Master