[mlpack] the GSoC project on Colloborative filtering

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 17 12:17:37 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 01:03:44AM +0530, vvanirudh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an undergraduate from IIT Bombay, India majoring in Computer
> Science and Engineering. I am quite experienced in Machine Learning
> and I have done projects in the past regarding the same. I am
> interested in participating in GSoC under your organisation. I have
> gone through your ideas page and have found the colloborative
> filtering project very interesting . I have worked with small scale
> recommendation systems before using colloborative filtering. I have
> employed recommendation systems using colloborative filtering for
> websites in our institute for matching interests among students and
> recommending movies based upon their ratings of other movies.
>
> I want a better idea of what your project demands, what its final
> aim is and what do you expect out of a student who takes up this
> project? Which similarity methods and algorithms do you want the
> student to implement?

Hello Anirudh,

There has been a lot of talk about the collaborative filtering project.
You can take a look at the mlpack list archives for some information
(https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/thread.html).
The following thread may be helpful (be sure to take a look at the
replies too):

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000034.html

> Can I know the email-ID of the mentor who is assigned to this
> project so that in future I can contact him directly for any more
> clarifications.

I think the mentor for this project will either be myself or Ajinkya
(who has posted in the thread I linked to).  You can contact either of
us if you like, but keep in mind that questions are more likely to get a
response if everyone sees them. :)

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Ryan Curtin       | "Are those... live rounds?"
ryan at igglybob.com | "Seven-six-two millimeter.  Full metal jacket."