[mlpack] Google Summer of Code

lynnette ng lynnetteng2002 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:46:04 EDT 2013

Hello there,

I am interested in taking part in the Google Summer of Code in
collaboration with mil pack on the collaborative filtering package. I am a
first year MEng computer science undergraduate student from the Univeristy
College London. Prior to entering university, I did an internship with a
research company in Singapore, implementing collaborative filtering
techniques used in the BellKor solution of the Netflix prize on a 100m data
set.

I am interested in the project posed and would like to know more about it.
I understand this is going to be coded in C++. I coded for my internship
project in python. I do know a little C++, and am more than willing to
learn coding these collaborat filtering techniques.

First, what collaborative filtering techniques are going to be used in this
package? Will it range from simple clustering to the complex neural
networks? Are there specific techniques that the team is looking at? Can
you point me to papers or articles detailing the techniques required?

Also, would this project include visualisation of the results? say, a
pictorial representation of the clusters formed?

Where could I find documentation on how to implement these algorithms in
mlpack and also the coding style and conventions for mlpack?

If you could provide me with more information on this project, I would
greatly appreciate it as well!

Additionally, I am a Singaporean student studying in London. I will be
returning to Singapore during the summer. This means I will be in London
time zone for June and October, but Singapore timezone from July to
September. Will this be alright with the project? I am more than happy to
work during my day times in the respective countries.

Thank you for your patience and I look forward to a favourable reply!

Regards,
Lynnette ng
+447598290830

--