[ipre-announce] Summer Workshops for Faculty: Robots for Intro CS

Tucker Balch tucker.balch at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 14 13:31:49 EDT 2008

Please share with colleagues who may be interested.  We welcome
university instructors, professors, high school teachers and home school
teachers who are interested to try robots as a context for teaching
introductory Computer Science.
------

http://www.roboteducation.org

IPRE Summer Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement Workshop

at Bryn Mawr College, Philadelphia June 11, 12, 13
at Georgia Tech, Atlanta, July 7, 8, 9

Synopsis: The Institute for Personal Robots in Education is pleased to
offer two workshops this summer for instructors interested in using
robots as a context for CS education.  In this workshop we will
introduce you to a fresh approach to CS1 that uses personal robots. You
will be provided with a personal robot kit and curricular materials and
receive hands on training on how to teach CS1 with personal robots. The
robots are programmed using Python. No prior knowledge of Python will be
essential for attending this workshop. You will have an opportunity to
become an integral member of the IPRE community that is actively
developing this approach of teaching CS1.

Audience: We encourage participation from instructors and professors who
teach introductory computer science at the undergraduate level; we also
welcome high school teachers.

Costs: The registration fee is $30.  IPRE is able to provide each
participant with lodging, meals, and a scribbler robot kit to keep. We
may be able to offer additional travel support to some participants.
Please indicate your need for travel support on the reservation form.

--
Tucker Balch, Associate Professor, Interactive Computing
Director, Institute for Personal Robots in Education

phone: +1 404 385-2861 phax: +1 404 601-3185
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~tucker